- CWV Key Figures
- What Factors Influence The CWV Score?
- CWV Investigation
- Benefits And Drawbacks Of Lazy Loading
- PSI Evaluation
- How Should The Site Be Optimized?
In 2021, Google released the Core Web Vitals (CWV) algorithm to improve the quality of search engine results. Three factors that indicate the user experience are included in the algorithm. Rapid content rendering, fast interaction with content, and visual stability of pieces are all necessary for a good website. The site’s performance improves as these indicators rise.
CWV Key Figures
LCP is one of the key CWV measures (Largest Contentful Paint). When compared to other elements, this parameter determines how quickly the main content (text, video, and images) loads. 2.5 seconds is ideal.
FID (First Input Delay). This parameter affects the number of bounces. The ideal value is less than 100 milliseconds.
CLS (Cumulative Layout Shift). Determines the degree of content stability on the site. During the loading process, things on the screen may fluctuate, making it difficult to interact with the site. The CLS index should not be higher than 0.1.
These settings are determined by the interaction with the user. A field measurement is necessary to assess the full picture. A favorable result on at least 75% of a site’s pages is required to rank it successfully. The month’s user experience is considered in the evaluation. High CWV ratings help to improve page ranking.
What Factors Influence the CWV Score?
The following variables can impact the CWV score:
Pagespeed is a service provided by Google. Compresses and optimizes pictures while combining CSS and JS files.
SSDs for servers. 20 times quicker than traditional SATA disks.
HTTP/2. This is a contemporary HTTP standard that allows several objects to be sent over a single connection.
CDN. It’s a content delivery network for sending statistical data, such as graphics, CSS, and user JS.
There is a lot of rivalry among news sites. To keep ahead of the competition, efforts must be taken to improve the site’s technical attributes and optimize it. A study of CWV measures among 50 major news sites was undertaken by Impression. The information comes from a CrUX report. LCP, FID, and CLS measurements were studied. Top media outlets included The Guardian, Financial Times, Nikkei, and LA Times. All CWV indicators must improve in order to boost Google’s search ranks.
Benefits and Drawbacks of Lazy Loading
Lazy loading is a method of delaying the loading of undesired photos. As the user scrolls down the page, the picture becomes apparent. You may increase site performance by using the lazy loading strategy. Sites with a significant number of photos are affected. Lazy loading can be advantageous for a variety of reasons, including keeping users on the site and reducing internet traffic. The following are examples of how Lazy Loading shows content:
- Scrolling. When a user scrolls to a specific portion of the website, media material is loaded.
- Clicking. The content is downloaded by clicking “Read more” or a thumbnail.
- In the background. Only critical media files, such as blueprints, are loaded.
Lazy loading does not always operate appropriately. When utilizing certain plugins with a stub in the src property, Lazy Load might cause picture indexing to fail. Because Google bot is unable to navigate the website, the photos are not indexed. Several examples show a lack of picture indexing, either partially or completely.
To secure search engine rankings, you must use the proper version of Lazy Load. You can accomplish lazy loading yourself by putting a link to the picture in the src attribute and substituting the stub in the srcset property. The True Image & Lazy Load plugin is also available.
Page Speed Insights is a useful tool for analyzing page speed (PSI). It works on PCs as well as mobile devices. There is a 0 to 100 point rating scale. The score is calculated using data from the previous 28 days. Low scores (less than 50 points) indicate that the site is in the red zone. High scores (90-100 points) indicate high performance. Six metrics were used in the analysis:
- first contentful paint (FCP),
- loading speed index (SI),
- largest contentful paint (LCP),
- time to interactive (TTI),
- total blocking time (TBT)
- cumulative layout shift (CLS).
The following are the primary areas where site loading may be improved:
- Diagnostics. Reducing the effect of third-party code, shrinking the DOM structure, and keeping work in the main thread to a minimum.
How Should the Site Be Optimized?
The site’s loading speed has an impact on conversion and search engine indexing. Low loading speed diminishes the comfort of the site, as well as its reputation and conversion rate. Increasing the site’s speed will increase its search engine rankings and attract more consumers.
To optimize the site, you need to adhere to specific guidelines:
- Reduce the number of media files on your computer. An excessive number of items slows down page loading. It is suggested that the amount of embedded information be reduced and that unneeded photographs in the photo gallery be removed.
- Caching. Caching is a technique for making web pages load faster. The stored material is played back by the browser itself, which speeds up playback.
- Reducing the weight of images. To speed up loading, the number of photos must be reduced. To optimize photos, files are compressed and saved in JPEG, PNG, and Webp formats.
- Reduce the number of third-party applications. It is advised to disable third-party programs and check the site’s performance. Applications that slow down the site considerably should be deleted.
- Limiting the typefaces available. You should only utilize a couple of typefaces and avoid non-standard fonts. Styles should also be used sparingly.
- Animation pictures are minimized. Using a lot of animated graphics might cause the site to load slowly.
- Subdomains are used. It is recommended to move the data to a different subdomain, and specify the path to them in the root config.php file. This guarantees that files are loaded in parallel, reducing the server load.
- PHP accelerators are used. The use of PHP accelerators improves website loading times. eAccelerator, XCache, and PhpExpress are examples of well-known accelerators.
Core Web Vitals is a great tool for assessing the performance of web pages. Search Console, PSI, Lighthouse, and Chrome Dev Tools are the most common CWV measuring tools. Google will update CWV on a regular basis. An expert programmer can help optimize CWV settings and propel a site to the top of search results with proper optimization. The importance of CWV variables in ranking a web resource will grow with time.